The Colorado Springs Police Department’s Handicap Parking Service Unit (HPSU) is composed of 10 to 15 volunteers at any given time.
In order to become a volunteer for the unit a person must apply through the CAPS program which can be found with the attached link http://springscaps.org/. Once selected, the volunteer then completes a four hour training course regarding their duties with HPSU.HPSU Volunteers are deployed in two person shifts Monday through Friday typically, with various start times. Their primary focus is to ensure handicap parking spaces are available for those who need them. They have the authority to write the following violations:
- 10.13.103: Parking for Disabled; $350.00 fine
- 10.13.108: Disabled Parking Plate or Placard Required (expired placard or plate); $100.00 fine
- 10.12.105: Parking in a Fire Lane; $70.00 fine
- Two members have the authority to write sidewalk violations which is a $50.00 fine.
To report an accessible parking or fire lane violations:
*Please note – submitting a request online or using the City’s mobile app will normally allow for a faster response time.
2. Contact the Handicapped Parking Services Unit directly at 444-7820